Long Day

It has been a drop dead jam packed day.  We woke up this morning and headed to Southport.  I had been up since 6am packing the car with paintings to take down to my first gallery.  Yippi!  Once the car was packed, I ran upstairs to get Jerry and I showered and presentable to meet and greet for the day. Unbelievable!  For the entire 2.5 hour drive, Jerry would ask, "Where are we going?" I'd say, "Southport."  He'd say, "Oh, I've never been there." I'd say, "Yes, we have. We spent the night there about a month ago.   Five minutes later, "Where are we going?" "Southport." "I've never been there."  "Yes you have.  We went there about a month ago."  Five minutes later.  "Where are we going?"  "Southport." "I've never been there?" and so on.  My son said I needed to put a sign on the dashboard, "SOUTHPORT". Not a bad idea.

About 11:30 we arrived at the gallery.  Jerry was so handsome and wanted to engage in conversation, but it was a bit awkward. The gallery owners were as sweet as can be to the both of us, but I kept trying to get Jerry to sit in their little sitting area and relax while we hung the paintings.  Jerry just will not sit.  Whenever a customer would come in, he would go and try to talk to them.  I kept going over there and gently grabbing his arm, bringing him back to where I was.  I mean, I must admit that I feel uncomfortable when he talks to strangers.  Sometimes, I even get a little embarrassed.  Well, not embarrassed, but well, uncomfortable.

We finally left the gallery at about 2'oclock and headed back home.  My trusty Toshiba bit the dust two nights ago, so I am proud to say that I am currently typing on my new MacBook Pro.  On the way home, I decided to venture in to Best Buy to check out new computers.  Believe me, I didn't want to buy one, but two days without one was about as much as I could stand.  So, off to Best Buy we went.

It had been a long day, poor Jerry, but I really needed to get this done.  Jerry followed behind me as I headed back to the computer section.  He does that.  ..follow behind me.  It doesn't matter how fast or slow I go, he stays about 10 feet behind me.  I can even stop, look back, and he'll be stopped 10 feet behind me.  Just envision it.  Not funny!  I don't know what he sees in my back side, but it can't be pretty.  Once we were in the store and I was talking to the sales girl and he would stand about 18 inches from us.  TOTALLY, invaded her personal space.  I shooed Jerry off to the large screen TV section and apologized to her and explained that he had Alzheimer disease.  She was fine.  BUT...within minutes he was back.

You know, I wanted to get mad, but I couldn't.  All I could do was feel so sorry for him.  As I saw him wandering back over to me, I could see that lost and vulnerable look in his eyes.  I could see how sick he really is.  Granted the day was WAY LONG, but he really is unaware of how unaware he really is.

We're home now.  Montana greeted us with her usual enthusiasm and jumped up into Jerry's lap while we were sitting on the porch.  Auuuuu!  He was "home again". I could feel the relieve in him.  I was so glad and they were perfect.  It's been a long day so I'll close for now.  Nighty night!